Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Playing Basketball could cut back Hundreds or even Thousands of Calories



I’ve been posting blogs on alternate topics and some of them have to do with exercise and healthy living, well now I’m putting up the challenge to myself. When I was 15 I weighed in at 60 kilograms, when I was 25 I was at 78 kilograms and now I’m 32 years old I’m over 95 kilograms and with a cholesterol count of 250 parts per million things are not looking good for me. Thankfully I was not the only one who was worried about my weight and unhealthy state and so my friends decided to help.

As it turns out they’re having several fitness routine that they have been doing for more than 2 years now and they’re slowly bringing me in. They do distance biking or cycling twice a week and play basketball on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays. Cycling would have been preferable but since I’ll need $360-$400 to buy a new mountain bike I’m just joining their weekly basketball sessions. Due to my busy work schedule I agreed to only play basketball with them every Sunday afternoon and Monday evening.



We’re doing an average of 2-5 games per day and each game lasts for about 1 – 2.5 hours and according to health experts playing a full court basketball game for 30 minutes alone can help you burn 272 calories. That means in my case I’m probably burning about 2 – 4 and a half times that calculated average. Well it’s a start although I know I still have a long way to go because I also need to cut down 3850 calories per week on my calorie intake. I eat an average of 8 – 12 cups of rice per day (viand and side dish not included), which is equivalent to 1,732 – 2,598 calories daily (1,200 – 1,600 calories recommended) so I still need a lot of work.

My plan is to go back to eating oat meals for breakfast and dinner and only eat rice during lunch time. I’m also planning to include an apple and honey with my oatmeal plus 1 glass of red wine every night for antioxidants. My goal is to cut my weight by 10 – 15 kilograms and cholesterol levels to less than 200 parts per million by December. It’s an ambitious goal I know but it’s  better than nothing and for once, I’m putting my money where my mouth is in my life. But don’t get me wrong I lived an active lifestyle before I took a sedentary office job in Manila and I’m just getting back what I lost for 5 years since.

I’ll update you guys on my progress, so wish me luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment